Japanese electronics retailer Biccamera accidentally revealed a new JRPG on Monday. Titled Trinity Trigger, the game’s publisher FuRyu had planned to reveal the game later this week as seen from a countdown website that recently launched.
The listing from Biccamera has since been removed.
Originally codenamed “Project Tri-Tri,” the turn-based RPG is being developed by Three Rings, who are responsible for Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town, TOKYO GHOUL:re [CALL to EXIST], One Piece: Romance Dawn, and more.
Some big names have also been attached to the project, as you can gleam below:
- Nobuteru Yuuki (character designer on Seiken Densetsu 3, Chrono Cross) – World Design
- Raita Kazama (character designer on Xenoblade Chronicles X, art design on Xenoblade Chronicles) – Character Design
- Yuura Kubota (writer on Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default II) – Scenario
- Hiroki Kikuta (composer of Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3) Music.
In addition, Atsuko Nishida, Tomohiro Kitakaze, and Megumi Mizutani, all of which were artists for the Pokémon franchise, are also designing creatures for Trinity Trigger; these creatures are said to transform into weapons and aid the character who summoned them.
Biccamera’s leak reveals a whole host of new information, all of which you can read below (translation provided by Gematsu):
- A 90s era traditional RPG experience for the modern age.
- A completely new title from developers who have previously worked on traditional fantasy RPGs.
- A story about a young man caught up in fate who will save the world. The excitement of exploring fields and discovering treasure. And action-based gameplay in which you pave your own path to victory.
- This is a straightforward fantasy RPG like never before—for those who were once children and have now grown up, and for the children of today—playable alone or with others.
The legend goes…
Long ago, the “Gods of Order” and the “Gods of Chaos” fought for control of the world.
Great weapons fell to the land, and the world began to collapse.
Each God chose a proxy—a “Warrior of the Gods”—and it was decided that a winner would be determined by the battles between warriors.
And so time passed…
Cyan, a young man living a quiet life in a small village, one day learns that he is a “Warrior of Chaos” chosen by the Gods. Burdened with a cruel fate, he sets out on a journey to fight against destiny with Eris and Xanthys, who joined him as if guided to him.
Together the three can change their fate… So it is believed…
- Classic Isometric Action for the Modern Age – Classic isometric action with a 90s era feel, polished for the modern age.
- Feel Excitement, Elevation, and Tension through Three Concepts of Discovery
- Discovery in Battle – Fight in action-based battles by switching between a total of eight weapon types using the “Ring Change” system. Victory is determined not only by finding the enemy’s opening and circumstance, but also by using the weapons they are weakest against. Enjoy a battle style all your own by putting together your own combos, weapon upgrades, and effects.
- Discovery on the Field – With more than 60 area maps—including lush forests, forests with glowing mushrooms, snowy mountains, deserts, ice, and fire—with numerous treasure chests, cuttable weeds, breakable rocks, and paths not obvious at first sight, dungeon exploration offers an endless sense of discovery. Tons of diverse mechanics will ensure you not travel each map on a linear path.
- Discovery in Towns – There are plenty of discoveries to be made via the people you meet in towns. You may even uncover treasures by talking to them. To discover the truth of this world, it is essential to hear out the stories of its oppressed people.
Lastly, numerous screen shots were also shared, which can be viewed in the below slideshow:
Japanese fans can expect to get their hands on Trinity Trigger when it launched on the PS4, PS5, and Switch September 15. There is no word yet if or when a Western version will be available.
What do you think? Are you excited for another JRPG experience to be had this year? Which games are you most anticipating this year? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below and on our official Discord server!
Source: Gemetsu, Nintendo Life