Square Enix announced during Tuesday’s Nintendo Direct that a sequel to their hit 2018 JRPG Octopath Traveler will be arriving on February 24, 2023 for the Nintendo Switch, Windows PC via Steam, and PS4/PS5 consoles.
Titled simply Octopath Traveler II, the game will have players exploring the realm of Solistia with eight brand new adventurers who each have their motivations and unique skillsets.
While the original game had a more traditional fantasy world to travel, Octopath Traveler II is set during a Victorian-inspired era, with the land populated by steam locomotives, industrial factories, and the like. This should prove to make for an even fresher experience.
Square Enix gave a preview of each of the upcoming heroes you’ll meet in your travels:
- Hikari, a warrior who desires to a world at peace.
- Agnea, a dancer who wishes to become a star like her mother.
- Partitio, a merchant whose goal is to eliminate poverty.
- Osvald, a scholar seeking to enact revenge on a man who stole everything from him.
- Throné, a thief with a bloody past.
- Temenos, a cleric who is a master deceiver.
- Ochette, a hunter who puts her animal companions above all others.
- Castti, an apothecary on a quest of self discovery.
In addition, it’s been revealed that path actions, which are abilities that can be used both inside and outside of battle, will actually change as day turns to night, giving characters even more functionality.
For the unacquainted, Octopath Traveler was an HD-2D love letter to turn-based RPGs of the past. The game was distinct in having 8 unique protagonists, each with their own story. You can read our review of the original game HERE, as well as view it in video form below.
A free-to-play sequel, called Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent, also just recently release in North America and Europe for iOS and Android devices.
What were your thoughts on the original Octopath Traveler? Were you expecting this sequel announcement? Let us know in the comments below and our Facebook page and official Discord server!