Earlier on in Final Fantasy XVI, you clash blades with Benedikta, the Dominant of Wind. She doesn’t accept her losses well, and her Eikon, Garuda, manifests in a massive wind storm, beckoning you into an epic boss fight. Here are some tips for conquering this Eikon in Square Enix’s hit, FFXVI.
Firstly, there will be several opportunities for a Cinematic Strike, and the first one presents itself right at the beginning.
Garuda telegraphs several moves–slashing with her talons or go in for a sweeping kick–that you should be able to tell enough in advance to dodge; however, if you are a beginner, equipping the Ring of Timely Evasion can be a lifesaver. The battlefield can get busy at times, at this ring will allow you to focus more offensively.
- Use your Eikonic abilities (fire and wind) as often as you can. I primarily used Rising Flames, Scarlet Cyclone, Gouge, and Wicked Wheel. However, you also can’t go wrong with Rook’s Gambit, as it hits harder if you avoided an attack.
- When Garuda’s Stagger bar is halved, utilize Deadly Embrace. This will slam her down and give you a few moments to land some punishment.
Garuda’s had enough of your business and unleashes some very powerful attacks that include:
- Aerial Blast: Garuda summons several tornadoes around the arena. They are telegraphed by glowing spots on the ground. Circle around to avoid them. Stay on the defensive during this attack.
- Tornado: As the name suggests, a massive tornado is generated before Garuda. It’s best that you backtrack to the outter edges of the arena.
The remainder of the attacks are similar, including long reaching kicks. If you have trouble avoiding her attacks, I’ve noticed that Deadly Embrace can also provide aerial attacks called Deadly Leap.
Continue using your Eikonic abilities and look out for the Cinematic Strikes that become available as her health dwindles.
Garuda certainly had us fooled. After dealing the final blow, she regenerates and re-appears, but this time, Clive undergoes a transformation into Ifrit. Now, it’s a battle between Eikons.
- Close-range melee attack
- Long ranged fire ball
- Lunge (and if close enough, end with a melee attack)
Garuda’s moves include blasting you with a ranged attack, Tornado, Aerial Blast, and Skyfall. She is much speedier than you, and she distances herself often. Because you are a lumbering powerhouse, it’s best to circle and evade until you catch Garuda between attacks. Toss in a fireball as well until you are close enough to lunge and combo with a melee attack.
Her larger attacks–e.g. Skyfall–will prompt Cinematic attacks where you must mash the square button.
The mix of standard battle and QTEs continue until you end with Hellfire.
The Boss Rush Podcast: The Flagship Podcast of Boss Rush Media and the Boss Rush Network
The Boss Rush Podcast – The Boss Rush Podcast is the flagship podcast of Boss Rush Media and the Boss Rush Network. Each week, Corey, Stephanie, LeRon, and their friends from around the internet come together with other creators, developers, and industry veterans to talk about games they’ve been playing, discuss video game and entertainment based topics, and answer questions solicited on social media and the community Discord. New episodes of the Boss Rush Podcast release every Monday morning on YouTube and all major podcast applications like Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Patreon supporters gain one week early access. Listen on your favorite podcast application or watch on YouTube!
Anchor | Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google | Twitch | Overcast | Pocket Casts | Stitcher | Amazon MusicFollow The Boss Rush Podcast on Social Media:
Twitter | Discord | Instagram | Twitch | YouTube | Facebook Group | Facebook
Featured Image Source: Square Enix